The Seventh North East Media Exchange programme invites applications for six fellowships: four for journalists from the Northeast (Outward Fellowships) and two from other parts of India (Inward Fellowships).
I. A print journalist must include clippings of six major articles published in the past one year in an English or any other regional language newspaper/magazine (with an adequate English translation)
II A photojournalist must include two photo essays published in the past one year in an English or a regional language newspaper/magazine.
III A 1,000- word outline of the subject that he/she is interested in, from the following themes( applicants are encouraged to be specific in terms of topics, area of study and approach)- environment , local governance and peoples? participation, culture and tradition, health care, economic development and issues of gender particularly how women and children cope in conflict situations. The application should mention the geographical area of the proposed study, an outline of the methodology, research tools and reasons for selecting the subject.
* An applicant can select only one subject.
* All applications must be typed double spaced. Handwritten applications will not be considered.
* All applications must provide a letter from their editor approving their application and agreeing to their secondment, if selected. Freelance journalists should include two letters of recommendations from editors or media personalities familiar with their work.
* Applicants must be fluent in English: a working knowledge of Hindi would also be helpful.
* They should have a minimum of five years? work experience in metropolitan or regional media.
* Knowledge of computers is essential
* The duration of outward fellowships is four weeks and that of inward fellowships is for two weeks.
* The Outward fellowship carries an award of Rs 35,000 and the Inward fellowship is for Rs 15,000. Travel expenses will be met besides the fellowship grant
The application must reach the Senior Progamme Officer by July 15, 2003.
The awards will be announced on August 10, 2003.
The programme brochure with full details is available at National Foundation for India.
Senior Programme Officer,
Northeast Media Exchange Programme,
National Foundation for India,
Core IV A, Upper Ground Floor,
India Habitat Centre,
New Delhi- 110003.